Self diagnosis of Depression/Anxiety

In order to be diagnosed as 'depressed' or 'anxious', you have to visit your doctor and get signed off to officially prove your condition is 'real'. After this, you are handed some tablets to numb the pain and if you are lucky you get some counselling alongside them.

But is it possible to self-diagnose your own mental health?

The statistics show that 1 in 4 people in the UK suffers from depression, but what about the people who don't talk about it?

The symptoms of depression vary from person to person. I for one get days where I don't want to leave the house, I get tired during the day and suffer from a lack of motivation. In the past, when it was particularly bad I had panic/anxiety attacks which I could not control and it actually felt like I was going to die. Most of the time, I avoid social situations because of my mood and I would say that is the main reason I don't have many friends left.

If we know that these thoughts and feelings aren't 'normal' and this tiredness isn't all in our heads then who is to say we don't have depression? Although we go to the doctors to find solutions to our problems like tablets or counselling (if you're lucky) shouldn't we take a step back and look at the bigger picture?

When you visit a doctor in London you have a set amount of time to spend with them, probably around 10-15 minutes to tell them all of your symptoms and convince him/her you are in fact depressed. Personally, 10 minutes is nowhere near enough time to deal with a patient who suffers from mental health issues.

When I went to see the doctor for my depression the second time around, here in London, I was shunned out the door as soon as I said I was tired and lacked motivation, he gave me a prescription for anti-depressants and I was on my way... he didn't recommend counselling or a trip to the hospital for my eating disorder that had stemmed from my anxiety. I kept reiterating that my main issue was my eating but he ignored me and continued to type on his computer. He didn't give a damn, he saw a patient, gave the prescription and his eyes he had done his job.

All mental health conditions need attention, one tiny insignificant thing can make the world of difference to a person with depression. The first time I saw a doctor for my anxiety/depression I was 18 and I was in the midst of my A-level exams. I couldn't take the stress, the personal relationships that had gone to shit and I couldn't cope with the overwhelming feelings of being helpless and alone. He listened to every word I said. The part about my family issues, the part about me worrying I was going to fail my exams and in turn grow up to be unsuccessful, but unlike most doctors I have met, he didn't want to prescribe anti-depressants. However, he knew at that time in my life, it would help me to live a 'normal' life and in my eyes, that is what every doctor should do - listen to their patients.

The fact is, you know if you're depressed, you don't need a doctor to tell you if you're unmotivated or tired because you know you are. If you go to the doctors, they will give you pills, if you go to counselling they will ask you to try and take steps to 'move on', but in reality, the depression and the anxiety is a part of who you are and you need to learn what works best for you. If you think the pills will help, take them. If you think that doing yoga and meditation every day will help, do it. If you think that losing a bit of weight or leading a healthier lifestyle will help, please, DO IT.

Life is too short to try and please people. It is a terrifying rollercoaster that is racing ahead each day and sometimes you just can't stop. Some days, you will discover that what used to make you happy doesn't anymore and you change your mind and try something different. Change is a natural thing and in order to keep moving along or progressing, you need change to enable that to happen.

Depression doesn't define you, Anxiety isn't who you are, you are so much more than a label and the little things you do every single day, even if it just getting out of bed or having a shower are the achievements that will encourage you to carry on.

If you think you have depression tell someone you love, if you need help don't be afraid to ask for it and if you think that tablets will help you then find a doctor who listens.

Yesterday was mental health awareness day and I hope some of you out there who don't have a mental health condition started to understand what it is like for someone with depression. It isn't a physical ailment but it is just as important to understand and be there for someone who needs it. It's hard for us to explain what happens in our heads sometimes but believe me when I say that we have so much love to give and as long as you can stick around through the hard times we will always be loyal and loving.

We can do this!















No comments:

Sophie Ogden. Powered by Blogger.